In-Service Day: Special Schedule - Students Dismissed at 12:10pm
Powder Puff Game - Evening
Homecoming Pep Rally - Special Schedule - regular 2:30 pm dismissal
Varsity Homecoming Game
Choral Concert - 7:00 pm
Alumni & Friends Golf Outing
Spartan Alumni Extravaganza
3 Practice ACT Exam (no cost) administered by Kaplan - 8:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. - North Wing
All School Liturgy - Feast of St. Francis
College Financial Aid Information presented by The College Planners, Inc. - 7:00 p.m. - Kuhn Cultural Arts Center
Executive Function Workshop for Parents and Students presented by Nurturing Wisdom - 5:30 p.m. - Rosmonowski Room
Jostens Senior Cap, Gown & Announcement Assembly
First Quarter Ends
Columbus Day - NO SCHOOL
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Follow us on Instagram
View our profile on Linkedin
Donate to St. Francis
Note from the Principal
Parents please make sure your child is following the Homecoming Theme special dress guidelines listed on the flyer
found under Homecoming Week Activities.
Blessings to you and yours,
St. Francis High School
Parent Survey for School Improvement
As we begin our accreditation process with AdvancED, St. Francis High School is conducting a Parent Survey for School Improvement. Please find the link to the survey in an e-mail that was sent this week to all parents. Please be assured that your responses to this survey will be anonymous. Your honest opinion is appreciated and valued.
Notes from the Nurse:
School Immunizations-New Certificate of Religious Exception Requirement mandate.
- Parents or legal guardians who object, for religious reasons, to their child being immunized for school entrance must submit a Certificate of Religious Exemption form, which must be signed by a health care provider. Signed into law in August 2015, this new legislation requires a health care provider to sign the certificate confirming they have provided education to the parents/guardians about the benefits of immunizations and the health risks of not vaccinating students. (click here for the entire release) This new requirement will be in place for religious exemption requests beginning October 16, 2015.
Donna Hoscheit BSN RN
Mark Your Calendar - The Fashion Show is Sunday, November 22
Planning is underway for the annual St. Francis Fashion Show, which will be held on Sunday, November 22 at Bobak's in Woodridge. Our theme this year is "The Sweetest Thing." Model signups will begin the week of October 5, for sophomore, junior and senior men and women to be part of the fun. "Like" our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/sfhsfashionshow
for more details.
Early Bird Drawing
Have you purchased your raffle tickets for the chance to win Free Tuition for one student for the 2016-2017 school year?
Did you know there will be an Early Bird drawing on October 15th for everyone who has purchased a ticket where one lucky winner will win $2500?
Visit the raffle table at upcoming home Football games to purchase tickets! Or return your payment with completed tickets to the main office, or
15 Tickets are $200 6 Tickets are $100 1 Ticket is $20
The Grand Prize will be drawn at the annual auction in March.
Winner need not be present to win. All raffle prizes are subject to state & federal taxes.
Father's Club Service Project at Northern Illinois Food Bank
Please join us on Saturday, October 10th from 9-11:30AM at the Northern Illinois Food Bank for our first serve of the year. A core value we have at St. Francis is to live out the gospel and serve those that are the "least of these" as Jesus calls us to do. The NIFB serves over 70,000 people each week and over 590,000 people per year! In Northern Illinois, 1 out of 5 children face hunger and need assistance. NIFB has a major need to fill volunteer slots and we are committing to provide 50 volunteers. Hope to see you there!
To sign up, contact Mark Petersen at firstname.lastname@example.org
|Upcoming Fall College Fairs
- The NACAC Performing Arts College Fair will be held at DePaul University in Chicago on Sunday, September 20, from 1:00 to 3:30 PM.
- The NACAC (National Association of College Admission Counselors ) College Fair at Navy Pier will be held in Chicago on Saturday, September 26, from 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM. Over 300 colleges from across the nation will be in attendance.
- A college fair will be held at Waubonsee Community College in Sugar Grove on Monday, October 5, 6:00-8:00 PM
- Elgin Community College will host a college fair on Tuesday, October 6, from 6:00-8:00 PM.
- College Fair at the College of DuPage on Tuesday, October 20. It will be held from 6:00 to 8:00 PM in the Physical Education and Community Recreation Center. Approximately 250 colleges, universities, and service academies from across the country will be represented.
The dates for these college fairs and the spring college fairs are on the Guidance/College Counseling webpage under Important Dates and Deadlines.
Parent Workshop on Protecting Children in a Hyper Digital Age
Mark your calendars! On Tuesday, November 10, the St. Francis Fathers's Club and the Guidance and Counseling Department are hosting a Parent Workshop on Protecting Children in a Hyper Digital Age. The program will start at 7 PM in the Kuhn Cultural Arts Center.
Did you know that 43% of kids have been bullied online? One 1 in 10 victims will inform a parent or trusted adult of their abuse. 1 in 25 youths received on online sexual solicitation in which the solicitor tried to make offline contact. 15% of teens using cell phones say that they have received sexually suggestive nude images of someone they know via text.
Liz Repking, Cyber Safety Consulting Founder and Presenter, is the mother of three children and has spent the majority of her career working as a technology consultant. In her program she will discuss the following topics: dangers children are susceptible to online, teens and sexting, popular apps and how to use them safely, quick and easy settings to increase child safety online, setting restrictions on iPhones, iPads, iPods and other electronic devices, and cell phone monitoring.
We strongly encourage all parents to attend this program.
Designate SF as your school at Target and Amazon Smile
There are many ways to help St. Francis. The first are easy and require nothing but a few minutes of your time. By designating St. Francis as "your school", both Target and Amazon will donate a percent of your purchase to our school. Last year we received over $4,000 from Target alone. Our 2015 goal is $6,000. Sign up today to help us reach this goal.
Homecoming Dress Guidelines
It's never too early to start shopping for those Homecoming dresses. Be sure to check whether your daughter can sit, walk, and dance in the dress and of an appropriate length and cut (see below guidelines). The dance is a lot more fun when the dress fits comfortably!
DRESS GUIDELINES: All dresses must be longer than the fingertips when (with shoulders relaxed) are placed at the sides. The dress may not be skin tight and may not "ride up" when moving around. If your daughter has to pull down her dress to meet this guideline, please chose another dress. Additionally, shoes must be worn at all times during the dance. She may bring a second pair of more comfortable shoes to change into after pictures if you prefer!
Please Click Here for Homecoming Dress Guidelines
Student Government Reminders
Student Government would like to remind all parents of the following:
- Homecoming Week starts on Monday, September 21 and ends with the Homecoming Dance on Saturday, September 26. The theme for the 2015 Homecoming Week and Dance is "High School Musical". The schedule with the dress and activities for each day is now posted on the home page of the St. Francis website.
- Your child has a new class color! During Homecoming Week (and several other days during the year) there will be a class color day, in which each student needs to wear a shirt that is their class color if they want to be out of uniform. As you are out shopping, keep an eye out for a shirt that your son or daughter would like to wear on these class color days.
Freshman - Yellow
Sophomore - Red
- It's never too early to start shopping for those Homecoming dresses. Be sure to check whether your daughter can sit, walk, and dance in the dress and of an appropriate length and cut (see below guidelines). The dance is a lot more fun when the dress fits comfortably!
- DRESS GUIDELINES: All dresses must be longer than the fingertips when (with shoulders relaxed) are placed at the sides. The dress may not be skin tight and may not "ride up" when moving around. If your daughter has to pull down her dress to meet this guideline, please chose another dress. Additionally, shoes must be worn at all times during the dance. She may bring a second pair of more comfortable shoes to change into after pictures if you prefer!
- In conjunction with Homecoming Week, Student Government is holding a school supply drive to benefit an underprivileged school in Houston, TX where 2003 alumnus, Megan Cebrzynski, is an award winning teacher. Collection boxes will be in each homeroom and in the main office from now through Monday, September 28. The homeroom that brings in the most supplies will win an OUT-OF-UNIFORM day. Please purchase those school supplies while they are still on sale. Thank you!
DRIVE, SLICE, AND HOOK WITH FELLOW
SPARTANS AND FRIENDS AS WE'VE NEVER DONE BEFORE!!!
On Friday, October 2nd, for the first time in history, the Alumni golf outing will be held at Prairie Landing Golf Course in West Chicago, IL. The freshly renovated Robert Trent Jones II course is rated "4.5 Stars" by Golf Digest and described as "Extraordinary" by Zagat.
BLOCK OFF YOUR CALENDARS NOW!
|Spartan Alumni Extravaganza
October 3, 2015
Do you know where all the Spartan Alumni will be on Saturday, October 3, 2015? Well, we do. They will be at the event that will be talked about all over social media.You do not want to miss this event - the First Annual Spartan Alumni Extravaganza!
Several alumni are working hard getting ready for this event. We will celebrate together in a Mass on the Grass, tour all the wonderful new additions to and old stomping grounds of St. Francis High School, meet and greet both old and new teachers, catch up with old friends over pizza and drinks, and much, much more.
No one wants to be left out of this Extravaganza. We need your help in spreading the word about this exciting and new event. Please pass along this information to all of your classmates and friends. If you or anyone you know is interested in helping to plan, sponsor or contact alumni about this event, please contact Colleen Clark at email@example.com
Please Click Here to Purchase Tickets for Saturday, October 3rd.
Sponsorship Opportunities are Available for this Event
Please Click Here to make Online Sponsorship Donation.
Tootsie Roll Fund Drive
Join the Knights of Columbus September 18-20 for a benefit for people with intellectual disabilities. Many shift times available all weekend.
Chicago NEDA Walk
Support the National Eating Disorder Association at their Chicago Walk on Saturday, September 19. Permission forms and information in Mrs. Mercadante's office.
Hike for Hesed
Join the Hesed House, shelter for the homeless, on Saturday, October 3rd for their 11th annual walk in Aurora.
or contact Carolyn at 630-897-2156 ext. 514
Serves homeless or at-risk individuals connected to the mid Kane County area. They are looking for students to help with childcare and homework time 4-5pm, Mon.-Thurs. Contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and to sign up.
Naper Settlement has community events year round-contact them to see how to volunteer to help out!
email@example.com or 630-305-5256
Special Presentation and Concert Event
On Thursday, September 17, the Missionaries of Poor will do a special presentation about their lives of service and work in Jamaica.
Please come to the Room 1207 after school for an incredible witness of serving the world's poorest. Then, join the Brothers of the Missionaries of the Poor for a benefit concert on Friday, September 18 and Saturday, September 19. See your Religion teacher for more information.
Executive Functioning Workshop
A hands-on workshop for parents and students in grades 6-12
Wednesday, October 7, 2015
5:30 - 7:30 p.m.
at St Francis High School
Cost: $50 per student/parent team
Many students need help developing executive functioning skills like organization, time management, studying, and note-taking. These skills are often the missing link to success.
This practical and hands-on workshop offers a chance for parents and students to:
- Be introduced to executive functioning skills
- Organize binders and school materials
- Learn study and note-taking skills
- Build effective homework routines
- Get tips and tricks for managing time effectively
To learn more, contact Mrs. Rupp at firstname.lastname@example.org or Jeanne Rerucha from Nurturing Wisdom Tutoring Services at 312-260-7945x7 .
College Essay Preparation Tips Night
September 28 at 7 P.M.
St. Francis High School is sponsoring a College Essay Preparation Tips Night on Monday, September 28 at 7 P.M. in the Kuhn Cultural Arts Center. It is open to all students and parents. An admissions counselor from the University of Chicago will discuss topics specifically dealing with:
- Writing essays for the common application
- Personal statements
- Essay Prompts
- Examples of good and bad college essays.
- The general admission process for highly selective colleges.
- How to make a college application unique and standout.
Please contact Adam Lindley in the counseling office if you have any questions.
ACT Prep Courses at St. Francis
St. Francis is teaming with Kaplan Test Prep to provide ACT prep courses on the St. Francis campus this winter and spring. The winter course will start on December 3 and lead up to the February 6th ACT test. The spring course starts on February 3 and leads up to the April 9th ACT test.
Kaplan will also offer a FREE ACT PRACTICE TEST at St. Francis on Saturday, October 3, at 8:30 AM. Students can sign up for either the course or the practice test by going to the following link which is just for St. Francis students. Because our events are not open to the general public they are not posted on the regular Kaplan website. Register at: